February 03, 2014

How to Password Protect TPT Products

     I am really excited to share a new tutorial for those who sell on TeachersPayTeachers and Teacher's Notebook. I had a hard time trying to figure out how to password protect my products, without having to use multiple programs to do it. I asked quite a few people, but none of them had a real clear and easy answer for me. You see, I have a PC. I found out that Microsoft Office would only allow Mac users to password protect their items.  It was rather frustrating to me!
     I went on a rampage, trying to figure out what to do. I decided to open up the free software that I had been using to create my products with, and discovered an easy way to password protect my products. This free software is Kingsoft Office.  I use their Presentation 2013 to create my products, and I love it!
     I am really thrilled to show you, just how I password protect my items through Kingsoft Presentation 2013. Please understand that ALL of my products are in PDF format! I don't save my teaching resources in any other format. Now, are you ready to learn how I password protect my stuff? Okay, here we go!

      Let's assume that the single page, seen below, is my TpT product. It is finished. All I have to do is add the password protection, and create my PDF. I will go step by step, and show you what to do to achieve this!


Step #1: Click on the Presentation button in the upper left hand corner, select "Save As", and then click on "Export to PDF".


This box will pop up, and our first thought would be to go ahead and finish the PDF. Don't do it!
Step #2: Instead, click on the Permission Settings tab.


Step #3: Once you have clicked on the Permissions Settings tab, you will want to make sure to click inside the box next to "Password to protect permission settings". This will allow you to create a password. Fill in the password that you would like to use in the circled spaces shown on the picture provided below. Also, please remember to select "Free Printing" under printing permission. DO NOT fill in the password and confirm, on the bottom of the Permission Settings. If you do, it'll require a password to open the entire file to view, and print it out. We don't want to continually give out passwords to specific files, so our customer may print their products. We only want to keep anyone from modifying or copying any of the content inside the file.


Step #4: Go back to the Normal Tab (circled in the image below), rename your PDF in the highlighted section. Please try not to remove the entire highlighted text, unless you want to find a different location to save your PDF to. If you would like to do that, simply click on the Browse button and find the place that you would like to save your file to. Then rename it there. Once you have renamed your PDF, click the "Ok" button.


     Once your password protected PDF file has been created, Kingsoft Presentation will give you the option to cancel, or to open your file. I like to open the file, just to make sure everything looks the way that I would like it to.


     Now that I have created my PDF, I would like to show you what it looks like when someone tries to open my file while using Adobe Photoshop. Instead of opening the actual file, the PDF will ask the person to fill in my password. Just how I wanted it to be! The content is safe! :)


     If you have any questions or run into any problems, please email me at mommyandmecreations@hotmail.com. I would be more than happy to help you. Also, if you feel more comfortable in using a professional version of this software, please click here! Thanks for stopping in!

No comments:

Post a Comment